Our vegan corn and calabrian chili bisque showcases the sweetness of corn against the mild spice and saltiness of calabrian chilis. Pureed cashews give this soup a creamy-like texture that is typical of bisques.
- 6 ears of corn
- 1 lb. of cashews
- 10 Calabrian chilis
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup of tomato sauce or diced tomatoes (in juice)
- Shuck the corn cobs and cut the kernels from each cob.
- Grill the cobs until lightly charred and place in a pot with enough water to cover. Simmer for about an hour and strain.
- Soak the cashews in water for about an hour.
- Pop the tops off each Calabrian chili and squeeze the seeds out of each. Mince the peppers.
- Add a tbs. of olive oil to a saute pan. Saute the onions, half of the corn kernels and half of the minced chilis for about 20 minutes. Add the minced garlic.
- Add the cashews and corn cob stock to the pan and let simmer for about 20 minutes. Add 1/3 of a cup of your favorite tomato sauce/diced tomatoes.
- Remove the pot from heat and place the soup into a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Add distilled white vinegar and salt to taste.
- In another pan, saute the remaining corn kernels and chilis until the corn begins to lightly brown. Add this mixture into the pureed soup.
- Heat up and serve.